Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tuesday's Workout & Breakfast for Dinner Recipe!

After my long Sunday run, I decided to take Monday off from working out.  I had worked out 6 days last week and was feeling pretty good and my body definitely needed a days rest.  Not to mention, yesterday was Day 1 of studying for my last section of the CPA Exam.  I sit for the last part May 30th, so balancing my career, studies, working out, cooking & eating healthy are no doubt going to be a little more difficult for the next month, but it's a task I am willing to tackle!  Tonight I am working out at my gym, 24 Hour Fitness, which I have been a member at for over 3 years now and I absolutely LOVE IT THERE.  When I'm not on one of the cardio machines you can find me taking a number of their Group X Classes.  These classes range from spin to strength and barbell training classes.  Without these classes and the dedicated instructors, I would not be at the fitness level I am at today.  Working in groups gives me extra motivation and that extra push to make myself a better me inside and out.  Tonight I am taking one of Les Mills classes called "Body Attack" which is a high intensity cardio and old school aerobics class. I have taken it a few times in the past and it definitely kicked my butt, so I am looking forward to the challenge tonight.  After that, I am partaking in a new boot camp-styled class that my gym has been offering over the past month or so titled "Ghost Recon."  This class challenges all muscle groups with numerous strength and cardio training drills.  My first time taking the class was last week and I am excited to be back for more this week!  The class is definitely taxing on your body but after a few weeks of attending I'm almost positive you will love the results and progress you'll see. 



I didn't have much time to food shop or cook an elaborate meal, so I had "breakfast for dinner." Here's my recipe for a heart healthy, veggie pack frittata that brings me back to spending the weekends with my grandparents. (My Nonna would often make frittata as part of dinners which I always loved!) Enjoy!  Add or subtract veggies to your own taste :)



INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 Whole Eggs (Yolks and ALL!)
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 1 Medium Green Squash Diced
  • 1 Bag Baby Spinach Cleaned/Dried
  • 1 Bunch Fresh Asparagus Diced
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
  • Few teaspoonfuls of water 
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper to taste


  1. Heat skillet with a few teaspoonfuls of the olive oil over medium heat.  Throw in squash, asparagus and onion.  Cook for about 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender and golden brown. 
  2. In the mean time, preheat oven to 375* and beat together whole eggs, egg whites, water and salt & pepper (I am not CRAZY about egg whites alone, so I usually incorporate the yolks from half of the eggs as in this case 8 eggs, 4 yolks).
  3. Toss spinach with veggies until wilted and pour beaten eggs into skillet over veggie mixture.
  4. Cook eggs over medium heat being sure to lift eggs from the sides of the skillet and cooking until eggs are pretty much formed and solid (like an omelet)
  5. Place skillet into oven and let the frittata finish cooking - about 10 minutes until top is no longer runny and eggs are fully cooked. (Make sure your skillet is oven safe and if the handle is rubber cover it with some tin foil before placing it in the oven)
  6. Take the frittata out of the oven and either slide the entire thing onto a large round plate, or you can simply cut little triangles straight from the pan and enjoy!
This no-brainer frittata is loaded with protein and healthy veggies.  The possibilities are endless for add-ins, I also enjoy frittatas with tomato, mushroom, peppers, cheese, the list goes on.  It's truly a quick, easy and customizable breakfast, lunch or dinner!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment